Whatever 3D software artists use, Photoshop remains a key tool throughout the production pipeline. The techniques presented in Photoshop for 3D Artists: Volume 1 are intended to show how 2D techniques can be seamlessly blended into the 3D production pipeline, resulting in a high quality image and a versatile and streamlined workflow. The book offers artists the chance to learn from a variety of top professionals, such as Andrzej Sykut, Fabio M. Ragonha and Zoltan Korcsok, who willingly share the tips and tricks that they have developed over years of working in the 3D industry.
The tutorials in Photoshop for 3D Artists: Volume 1 cover a variety of different subjects, from the initial concept stage through to post-production. Pre-viz and concepts are explored, showing the advantages of using Photoshop to plan and visualize projects. Combining library images in Photoshop to create custom textures is also featured, as well as how Photoshop can be used as an efficient alternative to lengthy render tests by focusing on compositing passes, adding particle effects, improving light and color adjustments. These post-production techniques are becoming increasingly popular within the industry as Photoshop becomes a more powerful and time-saving tool, enabling almost every 3D artist to enhance their final renders.
With the expertise of the individual contributors, the clearly written tutorials and work-in-progress images, Photoshop for 3D Artists: Volume 1 is a timeless resource for veteran and beginner artists alike.
Softback 224 pages
Dimensions: 216mm x 279mm
Paper quality: Full colour premium paper pages
Buy together and get 10% discount*:
Chapter 01 - Previsualization
- Spaceship Concepts
- Photoshop Concepts
- Creating Original Concepts
Chapter 02 - Texturing
- Base Layers and Color Correction
- Bump and Specular Maps
- Dirt and Grime
- Character Textures
Chapter 03 - Post-production
- Render Passes
- Retouching Final Renders
- Lighting and Special Effects
- Curves, Levels, Color Balance and Layer Styles
- Layer Masks and Adjustment Layers
- Creating Backgrounds
Chapter 04 - Effects for 3D
- Sparks and Glows
- Fire, Heat Haze and Smoke
Chapter 05 - The Breakdown Gallery
Chapter 06 - 3D as a Painting Tool
- Introduction to Google SketchUp
- Alley Garage
- Futuristic Center
Chapter 07 - Complete Projects
- Fantasy Scene - Concept
- Fantasy Scene - Basic Modeling and Lighting
- Fantasy Scene - Creating Textures from Photographs
- Fantasy Scene - Adding the Sky and Scenery
- Fantasy Scene - Post-production
- Alchemist's Chamber - Texturing and Lighting in Photoshop
- Good book Review by Jose
(Posted on 13/07/2016)
- good book Review by Delyan
- Learn lot from very usefull techniques Review by Arik Newman
Definitely recommended for each and every level ! (Posted on 07/03/2016)
- Fantastic! Review by 3D-Visualist
The chapters are laid out clearly and methodically and the hundreds of images make the book a joy to read. I have picked up many new tips that will help me to improve my 3D work yet further.
Well done 3D Total - thanks! (Posted on 09/02/2015)
- Photoshop + 3D good guide Review by Digimonkey
- Beautiful guide for 3d artists Review by Emilien
- Fantastic book Review by Jan
- Well Worth Your Time and Effort Review by Rob
- Photoshop for 3D artists V.1 Review by stefano
Thank you guys!!
3D Total rules!!! (Posted on 29/05/2012)
- Excellent Book Review by Benjamin
- Excellent asset for anyone Review by Alejandro
- Nice book to have at hand. Review by bruno
- Great resources and techniques to have in your 3d workflow Review by S.Cea
Each chapter is easy to follow along with clear explanation and image of the settings boxes, and also, there is a link to download tutorial resources which I think it is very useful, as you can perform your own photoshop experiments with what you learned from the book. They did a great job in selecting an example works for each tutorial, which I don't find it too easy or too hard to follow.
I especially like the chapter on previsualization, an interesting article on 2d and 3d techniques to help exploring design ideas. I learned quite a few things from these chapter, since I don't really draw that well, but with some skill in sculpting/modeling, I'm able to explore ideas in a totally different way and it is fun to do.
The book provides general idea on how powerful can photoshop enhance the quality of your 3d art at the final stage, and shows how easy it can be done in just a few steps. Each tutorial serve well as one of many methods to achieve one quality look, and the example of the art works are well selected and inspiring enough to encourage you to follow along and experiment with your own techniques.
If you are looking for a practical use of photoshop in your existing 3d work flow, this is the book that will give you an insight of how quickly you can improve the quality with great result, and finally, fun to follow and very inspirational to read.
(Posted on 04/01/2012)
- Excellent guide for the budding 3d artist Review by Oskar Kolmodin aka Hulahuga
This is a great collection with near complete coverage of all aspects of Photoshop for the 3d artist. All in all, it can by far be ordained as an excellent guide for the budding 3d artist.
(Posted on 06/08/2011)
- Wrong link; substantial parts are already released. Review by Roger
It should be mentioned that substantial parts of the book have been already released as 3D-total-e-books.
Otherwise: Gratulations. (Posted on 30/05/2011)
Write a Review
Sorry, you must be logged in to write a review.
Please Log In Now
PREVIEWFor a preview of this book, simply click and drag the pages of the book below.